[ale] smbmount,2.3.4,backup

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Jun 10 10:32:07 EDT 1999

Gary S. Mackay enscribed thusly:
> After two months of searching docs, how-to's, and dejanews, I still can not
> get smbmount to work on the 2.3.4 kernel. I have samba 2.0.3, have compiled
> samba with the --with-smbmount option, etc, etc. I know the syntax changed
> somewhat from the old samba, but just can not get it working. Has anyone been
> able to?

	Latest Samba is 2.0.4b, but since I haven't made any changes to
smbmount in that time frame, it shouldn't make any difference.

> My primary goal is to use my NT box (a necessary evil for my job) which has a
> 15gig hard drive as a backup. I'd like to setup a cron job to mount a 'backup'
> share, copy the ENTIRE linux drive to it (that's another unknown at the
> moment), and then unmount.

	Questions, questions, questions...

	What version of NT?

	What service pack level?

	Is the NT box set for encrypted passwords only?

	What Linux distribution?

	What kernel version?

	What error messages do you get back?

	What is your command line?