[ale] How do I track the Machine name by knowing the IPaddress ?????

Mark Thomasson mthomass at scad.edu
Thu Jun 10 10:33:47 EDT 1999

If you are sitting at the machine winipcfg works just fine , but . . . .

If you are using a WINS server on your NT network alll you have to do is
look it up in the WINS database assuming it registered properly.

There is a demo of NetXray from Network Associates that can ping a range of
IP addresses , then resolve IP to Mac Address and NetBIOS name (Computer
name). Is there a Linux utility that does the same thing?

In addition in the NT resource Kit , there is a utility that does the same
thing called "getmac" , however you first must know the computer name.

Mark Thomasson
Savannah College of Art and Design
Computer Art Department ( www.ca.scad.edu )