[ale] Hello

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Jun 7 13:34:29 EDT 1999

Vernard Martin wrote:

> > I am not a programmer and am not good at hacking systems. What I want is
> > a drop-in Linux system for an average Windows user who wants to dump it.
> > I will not be running a server or anything like that.
> >
> > I have heard about Redhat 6.0. Does anyone here have any experience with
> > it? If I go with Redhat, I will have to download it from the net.
>
> Welcome Larry.
>
> I've done a few RedHat 6.0 installs and its seemse to be a fairly good system.
> Most of the complaints that I have seen is that folks don't like the version of
> KDE that ships with it. However, if you get Mandrae which is a version of
> RedHAt that has some more up to doate software contained within it, you'll
> avoid most of those problems.

Larry, I just did an nfs install of Mandrake.  Too cool.  Great looking
desktop and the available tools for kde are fantastic.  Only complaint I
have is that it does the  same thing other Linux dists. do, and that is
drop icons/menus on your desktop/toolbar for things you didn't install.
At least with kde, it gives you a (good) hint as to what the problem is
when you try to execute one of them.

Anyone using kde with Enlightenment?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl