[ale] MediaOne Road Runner is here! Should I Care?

Chris Hamilton chrish at realminfo.com
Mon Jun 7 13:31:01 EDT 1999

> I just got this message, clearly geared to the non-techie.  Can
> someone give me the back-story on this?

If it's anything like the "Road Runner" service I had in Albany, NY ...

* You have to be an existing MediaOne (Time Warner in Albany) customer.
* For $49.99 or $99.99 you get a 3COM 10baseT NIC and a Toshiba cable
  modem and some special kind of software that "logs" into the service.
* For $39.99/mo you get up to 3 IP addresses (DHCP) and 4 seperate email
  addresses.

There is a Linux utility (unsupported, of course) that simulates the
Windows/Mac-based login utility. I was pleased with the way things worked
under Linux. RR actually had unsupported software and documentation (user
contributed) on the main website.

This is assuming that MediaOne's implementation of the RR service is
similar to Time Warner's. It can vary.

--
Chris Hamilton          REALM Information Technologies
chrish at realminfo.com    Manager, Information Technology Services