[ale] <Off Topic:> BeOS

Chris Hamilton chrish at ifsintl.com
Wed Sep 9 10:27:53 EDT 1998

> Has anyone here tried this OS?  Is it work the $70 that BeDepot is
> charging?

It's not a bad OS. It has a nice GUI interface. From the time that the
kernel boots, till the time the OS is ready for use is about 9 seconds.
It's nice to see that they are doing more development for Intel-based
machines. I know that Metrowerks has a compiler and there are several
utilities that come with the stock OS, but otherwise, I'm not sure of
the user application development.

I will warn you of a couple of things .. for multi-processor machines,
BeOS will allow you to turn off a processor .. all of them. There are no
checks or warnings if you want to turn off the last processor that hasn't
been disabled. It will also allow you to push monitor settings beyond safe
and even high performance settings. I'm not sure what the details are, but
from what I gather, it can fire your monitor's guns to the point that it
damages your monitor.

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton                  Internal System Administrator
chrish at ifsintl.com              IFS International, Inc.