[ale] Win 95 long file names

Mike Nelson mnelson at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 30 00:47:42 EDT 1998

If you consider samba/linux, perhaps you should have a look at
http://samba.anu.edu.au for samba info for the file and print part of your
question.

There is a plethora of docs, with stuff you need to know about integrating with
NT domains, Wins servers, and so on.

There is also a samba survey of users and sites that may prove useful in
advancing your cause, although _they_ have ammunition like this:

Them: Who uses samba?

You: Bank of America, Hewlett Packard, Motorola, etc etc use samba.

Them: Oh Yeah? The US Navy uses uses NT on their most advanced warship,
the AEGIS Missle Cruiser Yorktown, and it hasn't sunk yet.

-------------Original message follows----------------------
I am puting together an argument to use Linux as a file and print server and
possibly a proxy server for my office, this would replace a Novel 4.1 file and
print server that I have respociblity for and know little about.

I need to know if the NFS will support the long file names that everyone here
loves
to use.

comments and/or   advice are requested.

E-Mail: Mike Nelson <mnelson at bellsouth.net>