[ale] Remote telnet problems

denethor denethor at apr.net.au
Wed Jul 29 21:02:56 EDT 1998

Hi all, I asked a question the other day about this, and I did something
that I thought would fix the problem, but it doesn't seem to have. Here
is the scenario.

I havea  mud running on my linux server. I never had troubles telneting
to the server from a remote system, say from home or at work. The server
is in our coms cabinet at work, and I sit about 10 metres from it. I was
told that to run the mud, I should use the 'nohup' command when starting
it.

ie nohup ./startup &

this would be that the mud wouldn't shutdown after I logged ooff the
server, and would run in the background. After doing this I noticed some
problems. I get timed out when trying to log into the server. The
console (ie the actual server console in the coms cabinet) looks fine,
doesn't seem to be any problems. I do an 'uptime' and it hasn't rebooted
itself, which is what I thought it was doing. After a while (usualy
about 20 minutes) I finally get in. (telnet in that is) and the mud
starts up again. (when I can't telnet in, I can't log into the mud
either.)

So i deleted the entire mud off the server, re unzipped it, and started
it again not using the 'nohup' command. Yet I still get the same
problem. I am not sure though what to look for or where to look for it.

any advice, or insight as to what might be causing the problem, ( I
think that maybe the nohup command is still running, and I thought there
might be a way to turn it off.) I would be much appreciated..

regards
denethor