[ale] Remote telnet problems

Mike Kachline kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 30 02:56:36 EDT 1998

	To preamble this entire message, I am assuming that you have
notified the sys-admin of your linux box and/or network that you are
running this MUD. I state this only because they may have blocked all
network traffic to all but a few reserved ports on the linux box. Assuming
all's well on the home front though, I shall continue....

<snip>
> about 20 minutes) I finally get in. (telnet in that is) and the mud
> starts up again. (when I can't telnet in, I can't log into the mud
> either.)
<snip>
	When you say that you can't "telnet in", do you mean that you
can't log into a user shell (ie, telnet port 23), or can't telnet into
your MUD port?

	Either way, my suggestion would be as follows:

mudbox$ nohup ./startup &
mudbox$ ps aux | grep startup
<does anything show up here?>
mudbox$ exit

otherbox$ telnet mudbox 23
login:whatever
password:*******

mudbox$ ps aux | grep startup
<does your process still show up here?>

If it turns out that you can't telnet into your mudbox on port 23, then,
the next thing I would do is open up an xterm, then just "ping mudbox" for
a few minutes and see what kinds of packet transfers you get (ie, is the
box dropping network packets?) If you find  a high packet loss (> 10%)
then it's possible that your mudbox's net card, net cables, or whatnot is
bad. Bounce your findings off with your sys-admin (unless you are the
sys-admin ;) ). If you get good packet tracings (ie 99 - 100%), then, um,
I don't know, perhaps the port you are trying to use is blocked? Try
running "dmesg" on the mudbox to see if there are any recent, outstanding
warnings or errors which could help.

<snip>
> any advice, or insight as to what might be causing the problem, ( I
> think that maybe the nohup command is still running, and I thought there
> might be a way to turn it off.) I would be much appreciated..
<snip>
mudbox$ ps aux  | grep startup
12345 startup
mudbox$ kill -TERM 12345 (or whatever PID is returned)

							- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline