[ale] FYI... Oracle, Informix & CA to port databases to Linux...

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Tue Jul 21 17:59:01 EDT 1998

To anyone who does "volume management", I'm using Solaris and Veritas
for my large systems.  Raid5, 0+1 and the whole deal.  Great product,
but they don't see a point in porting to linux.  I'm calling them and
trying to get them to understand that I'm sure management would be willing
to pay out for a NFS/Samba server that offers the same or better reliablility,
stability and speed of a Sun box with just a fraction of the cost.

If anyone else would look at this solution, call veritas and tell them.
If you want more info on it, I'll be glad to tell you what I can.

Robert

Thus spake Terry Lee Tucker (terry at esc1.com):

> Jay Finch wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >         Here's a neat little article I saw on ZD-Net today.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > Jay
> > -----
> > Blurb:
> > LINUX GAINS MORE SUPPORT
> > The list of companies backing Linux, the open source operating system,
> > continues to grow. Oracle is planning a Linux port of its database. Rival
> > Informix will announce a gradual port to Linux -- starting with a database
> > product and tools. And Computer Associates is working on a port of its
> > relational database.  As Jesse noted in a recent Berst Alert, the freeware
> > OS is legendary for its stability and flexibility.
> >
> > Click here for Full Article:
> >
> > http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/zdnn_smgraph_display/0,3441,2121004,00.html
> > -----
> > Jay Finch                                                       : "You cannot run out of time.
> > President/GKE of NERO-Atlanta   :  There is infinite time.
> > (770) 650-0410  (voice)                         :  You are finite.  Zathras is finite.
> > horus at larp.com                                  :  This .... is wrong tool."
> > kateth at bck.org                                  :               -- Zathras (Babylon 5)
> > MTBI Survey says:  ENXJ                 :
> >     Check out my home page at:  http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/
>
> I work with the Progress Database and subscribe to their technical list
> called the peg. This news came across yesterday and several people
> (Linux users) are trying to get Progress to port their product.
> --
> Oakwood, GA 30566 USA
> 770.965.9294
> http://www.esc1.com
> The Gates of hell shall NOT prevail...

Robert L. Harris                |   Educate the Masses,
Senior System Administrator II  |      Don't just help them to
  at Great West Life.           \_       Remain ignorant.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: