[ale] Search and destroy simplified

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 21 17:20:00 EDT 1998

	I've got what is probably a very simple question. What is an easy
way to do a "search and replace" recursively through files. For instance,
right now, I sketch up a script for vim which searches and replaces what I
want, then wrap it in a for loop to the tune of:

for i in `find -iname '*.whatever'` ; do
	vim -s myreplaces.txt -- $i
done

	I know there has got to be a more elegant way to replace all
instances of one string with another (rather than using vim) from the
command line. Can anyone make any suggestions?

							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline/