[ale] SANE setup question

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 21 09:28:03 EDT 1998

First, thanks to Byron and Vaidhy for telling me where to set my color
depth when running 'xdm' -- now the next step.

I am running 'scanimage' and 'xscanimage' from 'sane-0.73.tar.gz' (i.e.,
the source tarball, not an rpm).  How do I indicate to '*scanimage', which
scanners are available.  Xscanimage starts properly from the console, if
I select my scanner:
% xscanimage hp:/dev/scanner

Without the scanner identification, they fail.  I want to set up two:
'pnm' and 'hp'.  I think I know which files are involved (thanks to Eric
A), and 'hp.rc' in '/usr/local/lib/sane' seems to work fine, but I don't
know how to identify the scanner options to these apps.

RH4.2, gimp-0.99.31, and gtk+-1.0.2 (both from source tarballs) are the
other players.

  John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
  Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
        Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
         "The cardinal virtues of a programmer are Laziness,
            Impatience, and Hubris." -- attr. Larry Wall