[ale] CDROM - where is it?

George A. Nies gnies at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 15 12:22:48 EST 1998

tko at westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> Mike Kachline writes:

<snip snip>

> >       If you are trying to install the slackware CD set and your CD
> > drive is plugged into your Soundblaster card, try creating a boot disk
> > with the "sbpcd.i" image. If all of the above don't work, The only other
> > proprietary CD which I can think of off the top of my head which is
> > commonly mistaken for as being an ATAPI is the "mitsumi" drives, thus,
> > try the "mitsumi.i" boot disk and see if that gets you any luck.
> >
> >                                                       My $0.02,
> >                                                       - Mike
>
> Excellent advice, Panasonic drives use 40 pin cables and I believe that they
> are proprietary as well. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time 8-)

Older sound blasters support panasonic proprietary
Newer sound blasters have just another ide bus (ide2 if your motherboard
already has 2)

The quickest way to tell is to look at the back of the drive.
40 pin cable = ide/atapi, mitsumi, panasonic, or sony proprietary
50+ pin cable = SCSI

Panasonic, Mitsumi, and Sony proprietary drives all have 4
jumpers labeled "Drive 0 | 1 | 2 | 3"

ide/ATAPI drives have 3 jumpers "MA", "SL", and "CS"
for master slave and cable-select, much like ide hard drives.

If yours is an ide/ATAPI, you use /dev/hd? no matter who
manufactured the drive.

	-George