[ale] VX/TX Motherboards

Ken Seefried ken at seefried.com
Sat Jan 10 08:05:14 EST 1998

At 11:17 AM 12/30/97 -0500, tko at westgac3.dragon.com wrote:
>Daniel S. Cox writes:
>>
>> 	I'm upgrading my computer.  What's the difference between the VX and TX
>> motherboards?
>
>As I understand it, the TX chipset supports the UltraDMA hard drives and the
>Vx does not.

I would point out that there is at least one major weakness with both the
VX and
the TX: they both only support 64MB of cachable main memory.  That is, if
you've
got more than 64MB of memory, you take a performance hit.  Not a problem for
everyone, but for some of us it's a killer.

The HX chipset doesn't have this problem, and it's a nice choice if you
don't need
SDRAM support.  The HX also has the bonus of being multiprocessor capable;
buying a dual board will extend your investment.  The VIA Apollo chipsets
also
don't have the caching problem and look nice, though I have experience with
them.
FIC, for one, produces motherboards that use them.

- Ken

Ken Seefried                                                ken at seefried.com
Director, Internetworking and Security            ken at xrcg.com
Crossroads Consulting Group, LLC                http://www.xrcg.com