[ale] Dual Processor Boards & Linux...

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Mon Dec 28 15:57:57 EST 1998

At 03:49 PM 12/28/98 -0500, jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com wrote:

>Thus Spake Jay Finch:
>>Hrm -- Well then, let me explain what I use my machine for and I hope you
>>can advise me.
>
>>My server, LARP.COM (http://www.larp.com), is mainly running web services,
>>PostGres-SQL, some FTP services, and some basic compiling.  Would a
>>dual-processor board help speed up these types of functions, or would I be
>>better suited looking at just a processor upgrade?  (I'm running a P150 w/
>>128MB of RAM right now, looking at upgrading to Dual-P200's with 256MB of
>RAM)
>
>Okay, well, your dual CPU-box would tend to mitigate the degree to which
>the various things you've listed will impact each other.  This would be
>especially relevant if you want your PostGres-SQL to integrate in some
>meaningful way with your Web server (as well you might, depending on the
>purpose of your Web site).  It would also smooth out the whack your Web
>users will take when you do your compiles.  Do note, though, that disk-I/O
>intensive operations are not helped much by more than one CPU (maybe
>unless, oddly enough, you're using IDE).  What you're doing sounds really
>interesting and I wish you the best with it.

	Excellent!  That was precisely the answer I was looking for.  Oddly
enough, I am using IDE, and I do plan on integrating PostGres with my
webserver (using PHP) ...

Thanks, everyone, for all your assistance.  Unless I hear something bad, it
looks like I'll be taking the plunge into SMB soon!

BTW -- I know that for Window$ requires all sorts of drivers for "special"
motherboards, but I've never had to use any for Linux.  Does anyone know if
there's anything specific I should look for to handle the SMB options of
that Tyan Motherboard I'm looking at?

Cheers!
Jay
-----
Jay Finch                       : "Don't it always seem to go,
Owner/GKE of NERO-Atlanta       :  That you don't know what you've
(770) 650-0410  (voice)         :  got 'til it's gone .....
(770) 902-3049  (pager)         :  They paved Paradise and put up
horus at larp.com                  :  a parking lot."
kateth at bck.org                  :               -- Joni Mitchell
MTBI Survey says:  ENXJ         :
      Check out my home page at:  http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/