[ale] Dual Processor Boards & Linux...

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Mon Dec 28 15:49:27 EST 1998

Thus Spake Jay Finch:
>Hrm -- Well then, let me explain what I use my machine for and I hope you
>can advise me.

>My server, LARP.COM (http://www.larp.com), is mainly running web services,
>PostGres-SQL, some FTP services, and some basic compiling.  Would a
>dual-processor board help speed up these types of functions, or would I be
>better suited looking at just a processor upgrade?  (I'm running a P150 w/
>128MB of RAM right now, looking at upgrading to Dual-P200's with 256MB of
RAM)

Okay, well, your dual CPU-box would tend to mitigate the degree to which
the various things you've listed will impact each other.  This would be
especially relevant if you want your PostGres-SQL to integrate in some
meaningful way with your Web server (as well you might, depending on the
purpose of your Web site).  It would also smooth out the whack your Web
users will take when you do your compiles.  Do note, though, that disk-I/O
intensive operations are not helped much by more than one CPU (maybe
unless, oddly enough, you're using IDE).  What you're doing sounds really
interesting and I wish you the best with it.

- Jeff