[ale] Dual Processor Boards & Linux...

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 28 14:48:44 EST 1998

> How hard is it to get Linux to support 2 processors?  (I know you have to
> enable the support when you compile the kernel, but is there more?)

The basic SMP support in the Linux kernel is in the scheduling of processes. It
will automatically schedule tasks to run on both processes. However, by
default, single threaded applications such as most traditional process based
applications will not run faster simply by running them on an SMP machine. The
apps must either be multi-process so that one can be on each process or they
must be multi-threaded so that you can split the threads over the two processes
to get any speedup.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/