[ale] Several questions

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Sun Dec 27 04:03:53 EST 1998

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> > 3. Multiple Hard drives
> >       Is there any way, with multiple hard drives, for linux to think
> > they are one? For example, be able to split a file across both drives,
>
> Yes...I think it is called multi-disk support or something like that.
> Basically, it lets you chain a few disks together as if they were one, or
> do several RAID types of things...there is a flag for it in the make
> config of the kernel.

No has mentioned this, but you might consider using the other drives for
different file systems.  For many applications, you can get away with a
small root file system.  I don't know how many or what size the drives
are, but you might think about mounting root or swap on one, /usr on
another and maybe /home on the new one.  Don't try to stripe, just use
separate drives for each filesystem.

Jim.
--
To see my .signature file, go to http://reality.sgi.com/jwl