[ale] PPP

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Mon Dec 21 19:08:39 EST 1998

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:14:58 -0500 Chris Ness <cness at gloster.vivid.net>
writes:

>I run Slackware, and I bet you run RedHat, the details may be
>different, but the concepts are the same

	Well, first of all, you should have picked up from my signature
that I run Slackware. The part I didn't include is that it is Slackware
3.5 with kernel 2.0.34, which I guess I will have to start adding now.

>> 1. Why does it take so long to begin?
>Multitasking multiprocessing combined with logging and calling the
>pieces of the script itself -- mine has ppp-on which links to a
>specific ppp-on-gloster (enables different ppp-on scripts) which call
several
>scripts in /etc/ppp ppp-on-dialer and ppp-on-dialer2 chap.secrets and
>chat which I think is in /usr/sbin. Meanwhile it it logging in
>/var/adm/messages ans /var/adm/syslog and if you have it turned on,
>/var/adm/debug.

	Oh, if I eventually give it its own partition (I am using UMSDOS
currently) then will it go faster?

>> 2. Why does it have trouble getting in?
>Dumb question - does your father's phone at work require you to dial
>an outside line? i.e. dial 9. Did you?

	First of all, I am dialing into my father's work, not out of it.
It connects fine in Windows. I dialup from home and connect through their
ISDN line. (Though, because I dialup, I still only get modem speed) The
reason I asked, is because when everything is working on my father's end,
Windows has absolutely no problem connecting, yet linux completely
refuses to.

>> 3. Why doesn't it show its progress, and can I set it to?
>Here's a project for you. Actually you already can, but it will slow
>things down more. You will need to add debug to the pppscript in the
>apropriate place. If you are in X windows, open another xterm and
>start `tail -f /var/adm/debug` and read what it tells you

If it slows it down, I'm not doing anything, it takes too long already.

>> 4. Why does it stop in the middle of the noise?
>Does the carrier detect light (CD) come on at that point? Most modem
>AT strings have a command that silences the modem after CD. Or your
>script may have given up and timed out at that point. Remember that the
>multiprocesses aren't communicating with each other.

	You must assume that I am using an external modem, which I am
not. But, I will add, I am not using a WinModem.

>> 5. If I do get it to connect, does it have anything to show how long
>>it  has been connected, at what speed it connected, etc?
>There aren't any standard utilities, but the info is all there if you
>want to write a script to check it. In fact, I often just `grep CAR
>/var/adm/messages` just to see how my connection speeds are doing.
>(There ain't no real 56k)

I don't care about 56k, my modem is only a 33.6 anyway.

>> 6. Finally, what am I doing wrong that it won't connect?
>Well, here you are on your own. There are too many possibilities
>without much more information. Try a manual login and see if the words
agree
>with your script. I once set one up for my father on an ISP running
>Windows NT and after a day of f*$%ing with it discovered that instead
>of login: (or Login: hence the ogin:) they were using `Username?` No way
>the script could have been expecting that. Is the ISP expecting you to
>do a PAP or CHAP login? Is the connect speed outside of your scripted
>limit? Above or below?

	Note that I am NOT using a standard ISP here. The computer I
connect through is just a macintosh workstation on the network of my
father's workplace. It is more similar to dialup networking. It uses PAP
or CHAP, my father doesn't think it matters (and he is the SysAdmin, so
he should know). It has a 33.6 on his end too. What other information do
I need to supply? Also, if it matters, I am a newbie to all this.

If it helps, here are some computer stats:

486DX2  66Mhz
24M RAM
1.1G HD (Total of two: a 520 and a 610)
Dual-boot Linux and DOS 6.2 w/Win3.11
33.6 internal modem
Slackware Linux under UMSDOS on second HD. (It does not get the whole
drive, or I would have repartitioned it.)

Naugrim
Naugrim at Juno.com
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocator

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]