[ale] PPP

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sat Dec 19 20:16:19 EST 1998

	My dad finally got his computer at work fixed so that I can
connect. I decided to take my  chance and try to get linux to connect. I
configured PPP with the pppsetup included. It told me to run ppp-go to
connect. I thought simple enough, but it was not to be. I expected
immediate results such as Minicom and <gasp> Windows give me. While I was
waiting, I ran ps several times to see what was up. It was doing a couple
different things over the course of time that I waited. Then, to my
astonishment, it finally began to dial. It got through, made the little
modem noises, and then stopped. It made about 1 second of noises, and
then stopped and left a dial tone. I tried again. This time it made the
noises about the correct amount of time. As soon as it stopped, I picked
up the phone handset, and what was I greeted by but another dial tone.
Now, enough of the story, now to the questions.

1. Why does it take so long to begin?
2. Why does it have trouble getting in?
3. Why doesn't it show its progress, and can I set it to?
4. Why does it stop in the middle of the noise?
5. If I do get it to connect, does it have anything to show how long it
has been connected, at what speed it connected, etc?
6. Finally, what am I doing wrong that it won't connect?

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com
Slackware Linux user -- Linux Advocator

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]