[ale] Diald problems

Gary S. MacKay garym at accnorwalk.com
Fri Dec 18 23:48:47 EST 1998

I installed diald a few weeks ago, but finally had an evening to try to get
it to work. No dice. It will trigger a dial like it should when I fire up
Netscape or a ping on the Win95 box, but won't connect. The modems connect,
then after about 10 - 15 seconds, it hangs up. I worked on the ppp-on
scripts and finally got them working, so I can connect both with ppp-on and
in the control-panel of X. Masq works fine, everything works, except the
diald login. I've played with the diald.conf and associated files, but
nothing seems to work. I have empy pap-secrets and chap-secrets files, but I
don't think anything should go in there should it? Isn't that for dial IN
stuff? I've tried watching the /var/log/messages file and I see the messages
that look normal, all the way up to the connect ppp0-eth0, but I don't get
the last two lines with the local/remote IP addresses. Is there a more
descriptive debug I could look at?

(RedHat 5.2)