[ale] need advice on adding frontpage ext to Apache

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Dec 18 23:14:40 EST 1998

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> > > So if anyone has addition info we could present on why frontpage extensions
> > > are a bad idea to put on a Apache/Unix system please let me know.
> >
> > How about the fact that frontpage extensions don't support all browsers
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought frontpage extensions were just a
> way of getting web pages from the creators computer (via frontpage) to the
> web server...don't see how this has anything to do with the browser.

My point, although not appropriately worded.  If you're using the
extensions to move web pages from the creators computer (via frontpage)
to the web server, then you are producing the web pages with Frontpage.
It is my understanding that Frontpage can generate code that is specific
to IE, that is, it won't work under other browsers (netscape, opera).
Also, Frontpage will not warn you in anyway that it is doing this. So,
the point is, it makes no sense to permit the creation/installation of
web pages that are specific to IE and then move them to a non-microsoft
environment.

I've also talked to a couple of folks who have seen Frontpage generate
html with invalid syntax.

The last version of Frontpage I used (don't ask me what version),
generated some of the worst html I've ever seen.

>  > and/or frontpage extensions may be changed by Microsoft at anytime
> in > anyway, just as the do everything else in the world.
>
> And as long as they release the updated code for Linux, who cares?

Like the will.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????