[ale] Added an IDE CD-ROM Drive

Dave Brooks david.brooks at trusted.net
Fri Dec 18 10:49:45 EST 1998

"you" or any variation of "you" is directed at Ben, not Jerry. :)

>'dmesg' to find if CDROM is there.
>
>on RH5+, it could be either /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd, well, if I recall right.
>/dev/cdrom is just a symLink.

erm... the device name is universal whether you're running RH, debian,
slackware, or any other distribution you would like to conjure up.  It
depends where the device is physically sitting.

First IDE, first device: /dev/hda
First IDE, second device: /dev/hdb
Second IDE, first device: /dev/hdc
Second IDE, second device: /dev/hdd

>If you are using AfterStep window manager like I do, you need to click on
>'reject/stop' button on the ASCD on the wharf before you click on the
>physical release button. Otherwise, it will claim it is using the
>cd, audio or digital.

huh?  a 'umount /dev/cdrom' should work, assuming /dev/cdrom is a symlink to
your cdrom device.

>If you suspect it is mounted as part of the file system, do a 'df -k' to
>find if there is an entry with iso9660 or isofs. That entry should also
>have 100% capacity. If it is there, do a 'cd / && umount /mnt/cdrom' or
>whatever the second field is. 'cd /' part is just to make sure you are not
>in the /mnt/cdrom.

...Your system may have a line in /etc/fstab telling the machine to
automagically mount the device on boot.  If the door to the drive wont
_ever_ open, like right after you turn your computer on and it's going
through the RAM check, then that's a problem with the drive itself.  Get it
repaired or buy another one.