[ale] Cable Modem and IP Masquerade

Jeffery Tillotson jtillotson at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 16 17:07:29 EST 1998

I am lucky enough (or atleast I think) to have a cable access to the
Internet starting on Saturday.  With cable modem access I will be
getting one static IP and could get more at $25 a month.  Of course I
would rather just go with one and use IP Masquerading to give all other
PCs in my home access to them.  I currently have an network installed at
my house using the private network adresses.  In order to to masquerade
will I need to put a second NIc in my LINUX box (one for the LAN and the
other for the Cable static IP)?  I have read the IP-Masqurade mini HOWTO
and can't quite find a definitve answer.

Some specifics: I am running RedHat 5.0 with kernal 2.0.34.  The machine
currently has one NIC card at eth0 to talk with the LAN in the house.
The cable modem is COM21 brand ComPort 1000 modular cable modem.

Any help that I can recieve or suggestions on reading would be greatly
appreciated.

Jeff