[ale] Macintosh and Novell

Dave Brooks david.brooks at trusted.net
Mon Dec 14 18:57:50 EST 1998

erm... sounds like he doesnt need to be converted.  The Linux community isnt
out to infiltrate into the minds of happy computer users. :)

If your dad's been using Novell for 8 years, and its crashed only once,
great!  That's damned impressive.  In fact, I'll bet its rare to find a
linux box thats been running over 2 years, crashing for no other reason than
Hardware.  You have to remember -- people choose their OS for the purpose it
serves.  If it serves its purpose well (which, in this case, Novell has been
doing happily for 8 years), then there's no need to switch.  You may want to
let him play around with Linux to see that it's a neat toy, and if he sees
something he likes, wonderful.  But I dont think trying to get him to move
everything in his office to Linux would be very smart.

And yes, there is a version of Linux that runs on Macintoshes.  I'm not to
familiar with it, but there's MkLinux and LinuxPPC, according on what type
of Mac you have (m68k or PPC, probably the latter if it's G3 laptop.)  Try
http://www.linuxppc.org.

Regards,
Dave
db at disctech.net