[ale] Can I network my wife's Win95 system to the net via

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Mon Dec 14 14:42:50 EST 1998

At 02:35 PM 12/14/98 -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
>I finally got around to connecting my wife's machine to the hub so we
>can share printers and files.  She asked me if she can now get on the
>internet.  I said "Sure".  Now I gotta put up and I don't really know
>how (or if).  So the configuration is my system that is connected to the
>net via a ppp connection to mindspring and her Win95 system.  Is there a
>way that she can run Netscape on Win95 and let me route her connection
>to mindspring?  I've heard of ip aliasing, but I'm not real sure that is
>what I want to do.  I've used Samba in the past to interface Linux and
>Win95, but that doesn't seem like it even enters into the picture.

	It's kinda a tricky thing to setup, but I have it working on my home
machine.. (Of course I have a Cable Modem, so I'm just using IP Masquerading..)

There's an awesome book I just bought called "The Linux Network" which
details this process fairly concisely.  (However -- Be forewarned it is
tailored more to the Slackware user)

If you want, I can dialog with you in private E-mail on how I set it up and
give you some tips & tricks...

It will require re-compiling your kernel so that you can have IP
Masquerading included...

Also -- You might want to have a look at the Firewalling and Proxy Server
HOWTO (http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html) or the IP
Masquerading Mini-HOWTO
(http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html) .. Those are the
first things I looked at when setting it up for home.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Jay
-----
Jay Finch                       : "Don't it always seem to go,
Owner/GKE of NERO-Atlanta       :  That you don't know what you've
(770) 650-0410  (voice)         :  got 'til it's gone .....
(770) 902-3049  (pager)         :  They paved Paradise and put up
horus at larp.com                  :  a parking lot."
kateth at bck.org                  :               -- Joni Mitchell
MTBI Survey says:  ENXJ         :
      Check out my home page at:  http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/