[ale] Cable Modems (and others)

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Fri Dec 11 16:43:52 EST 1998

	I have been having to put up without web access because my dad's
computer (The one I connect through) has been down for warranty work.
This has caused problems with school research, and does go down quite
often for variable lengths of time. I am trying to find the best value on
an alternative connection. I have looked a little at cable modems, and
want your opinions on them? How much do they cost? How much speed do they
get? How much does a full-time connection (such as is used for a web
server) cost? You get the point. Or, if I would find ISDN, or ADSL, or
something else better, or even a really cheap, yet reliable ISP for phone
lines. The web access has also caused problems because of it tying up the
phone line, so it would be best to have another line. Would it be cheaper
to get a separate phone line (and what is that's cost), or some other
type as mentioned above. I have a limited budget, yet need speed and
reliability. I generally connect 1+hr per day, and do not currently have
a cable line installed. Any that give info on the cable modem, include
all info in price, including line rental, modem rental, ISP charge, etc.

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com

PS1. I figured out why most of the games I had didn't work. When I
unzipped them, they had the incorrect names on them. By looking at them
in emacs, I found the correct names, and discovered that they are really
tar files. I was able to untar one of them, but because of lack of disk
space, I couldn't install. I didn't have enough time to try the others.

PS2. I need to know what the startup script that can be run (if there is
one), when you first log in. It would be similar to what autoexec.bat
does in DOS. What I need to do is have it process the swapon /swap
command automatically instead of me having to manually turn it on at
every login.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]