Was [ale] Problems, Now Spreading Linux

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Mon Dec 7 14:42:02 EST 1998

naugrim wrote:

>P.S. On a more positive note, I believe I have been firmly stuck to Linux
>now, and I'm wondering how I can help spread its use. Are there T-Shirts
>available (Non-distribution specific or Slackware specific)? Are there
>posters, or any other things available? If so to this stuff, where can I
>get it, and what is the price range?

A T-shirt would be a powerful if indirect tool.  Anyone who sees your Linux
T-shirt and has already has a passing "huh? wuzzat?" with the word "Linux"
in the press or whatever is likely to make a linkage and start seriously
wondering if this Linux thing is anything worth looking into.  For my part,
I can't remember quite how I came across Linux but I think it probably
would have been about 1995 when I was surfing the Web looking for
alternative operating systems for Intel.  My first attempt was to put
Slackware on what was a very high end Gateway 2000 when it was new - an
EISA-bus 486DX2/66.  I got it to boot but I never attempted X on it.  My
next attempt was a PCI/ISA 486 or Pentium and not only did I get X to work
but also the Cornell freeware CU-SeeMe reflector.  At the time I left my
previous job with the Department of Energy in September, one of the four or
five machines I had running i my office was running Linux with X quite
nicely.  After I moved to Atlanta I started really getting into it in
earnest.  LUGE helped me out bigtime with my dual-boot IBM ThinkPad and
I've set up two other Linux machines at work (one has since been
dismantled).  I'm now very interested in Linux as a Samba server and as an
Oracle server, and I'm looking into the feasibility of porting our in-house
COBOL apps from VMS/Alpha to Linux.  At home, I am setting up a second
computer as a dual-boot.

For my part, I have gotten two people into Linux outside of work and I'm
raising the curiousity of my direct reports here at the office.  I've also
furthered the Linuxing of three other people I know who were getting into
Linux.

- Jeff