[ale] More Hacked

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Dec 7 14:15:31 EST 1998

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Another ALEr posted questions about ssh version ID strings and a desire to
> disable them. My understanding is that if ssh is running and configured,
> (v.>2.0.0) the ID string is not important since it is not displayed during
> the connection process. As the encryption level is high, 128 bit on the
> data stream, 1024 bit on the host and user keys, ssh is one of the most
> secure communication tools available outside NSA. Use it! For people that
> must (begrudgingly) allow access to logins from windows and macs, there
> are ssh products available for those platforms for a fee (~$100, 50%
> discount for educational).

There's a free add-on of ssh to TeraTerm Pro (a free Windows telnet) which
works quite well.  That's what I use under NT (well, that, and the ported
command-line version that has scp and all).

There are patches for BetterTelnet 2.0 for Mac which add ssh support.  Check
ftp.replay.com (though I've not used them).

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu