[ale] Re: [ale-admin] Linux Question??

Steven A DuChene sad at ale.org
Mon Dec 7 12:22:28 EST 1998

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 12:01:27PM -0500, Brian T. Perkins wrote:
> Hello,  I don't know if you will answer my question or not, but I've
> tried everything.  I have "red hat 5.2" Linux on my machine along with
> Windows 98.  I'm real interested in this Linux OS and one thing is
> keeping me from abandoning Windows all together-----my modem!!  LINUX
> WILL NOT COMMUNICATE WITH MY MODEM.  It's not the case where my modem
> will not connect to a server or something like that.  My modem will not
> even communicate with Linux!!  Can you help me??  I've tried
> everything???  I can't seem to find any books that talk about installing
> modems in great detail and I'm new to Linux so I need GREAT DETAIL!!!

Some details would help us determine what might be the problem. For example
a big detail is what kind of modem is it? If it is a Winmodem, your out of
luck. A normal modem has all of the modem functionality take place in the
hardware of the modem. A Winmodem on the other hand has some of the modem
operation done by Windows operating system and the processor of the system.
If you have this type of modem, the only thing to do is find someone else
who has a use for it and then go buy a real modem. I have seen some
descriptions on this mailing list in the past on how to tell if it is a
Winmodem but I don't remember exactly what those indicators are. Perhaps
others can enlighten you.
Steve DuChene              sad at ale.org