[ale] Problems

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun Dec 6 19:57:35 EST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Michael B Golden wrote:

> 3. I need to change the resolution, as most of the programs look strange
> in 640x480, and do not fit in the screen. Virtual Resolution does not
> help, because the taskbar in fvwm95 stretches so that I must scroll for
> it too. When X starts, it shows several lines that say that it can't use
> a certain resolution because of the hsync freq. I don't have my monitor's
> manual, but I know that the monitor can run up to 1024x780 in Windows.

As root, run XF86Setup (from the console) and play around with settings
until you get a mode more to your liking.

> 4. When I had Slackware 3.0, I found the screensaver "rock" in the
> bundle. It is a space simulation(like in windows), but the 'craft'
> appears to turn. I found this one to be missing in Slackware 3.5 and am
> wondering how I can get it off of my old CD, and where to put it so that
> I can access it.

rock is part of the xscreensaver package.  See man xscreensaver or
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/ (I think; if not there, it's someplace
amongst jwz's pages).  You can also do something like

xscreensaver &
xscreensaver-command demo

and get a little interactive menu to control it.  That may be a slightly
wrong command, though, as I'm more of an xlock man myself....

> P.S. On a more positive note, I believe I have been firmly stuck to Linux
> now, and I'm wondering how I can help spread its use. Are there T-Shirts
> available (Non-distribution specific or Slackware specific)? Are there
> posters, or any other things available? If so to this stuff, where can I
> get it, and what is the price range?

http://copyleft.net/ has some.

later,
chris