[ale] Problems

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sun Dec 6 18:21:55 EST 1998

	I've had a couple problems, which interfere with my using on
Linux, some to such a degree that it is very unpleasant to use.

1. I installed Netscape Communicator 4.05 off of my Slackware CD. When I
ran it, it ran unbearably slow. Even a simple operation such as hiding a
bar at the top which takes a split second in Windows takes 20-25 seconds
to perform in Linux. Not all operations have this big a difference, but
there is a signifigant performance hit. I haven't gotten to test out how
it performs on web pages yet, and may not be able to for at least a week.

2. When I log in as any user but root when I first start linux, and then
startx from that account, the mouse pointer is a series of lines. If I
restart X, it still shows the same. If I log out, su, or go to another
virtual terminal and startx, it is still wrong. The only apparent way to
fix it is log in as root first.

3. I need to change the resolution, as most of the programs look strange
in 640x480, and do not fit in the screen. Virtual Resolution does not
help, because the taskbar in fvwm95 stretches so that I must scroll for
it too. When X starts, it shows several lines that say that it can't use
a certain resolution because of the hsync freq. I don't have my monitor's
manual, but I know that the monitor can run up to 1024x780 in Windows.

4. When I had Slackware 3.0, I found the screensaver "rock" in the
bundle. It is a space simulation(like in windows), but the 'craft'
appears to turn. I found this one to be missing in Slackware 3.5 and am
wondering how I can get it off of my old CD, and where to put it so that
I can access it.

Anyone with answers to any or all of these questions, I would be very
grateful for the help. Here is some system info if it helps. More is
available upon request.

Slackware 3.5 Kernel 2.0.34 under UMSDOS (DOS 6.2 and Win3.11 for
Workgroups)
486DX2 66
1M Video RAM
24M RAM

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com

P.S. On a more positive note, I believe I have been firmly stuck to Linux
now, and I'm wondering how I can help spread its use. Are there T-Shirts
available (Non-distribution specific or Slackware specific)? Are there
posters, or any other things available? If so to this stuff, where can I
get it, and what is the price range?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]