[ale] Poor Resolution Troubleshooting...

Geoffrey Myers geof at abraxis.com
Mon Oct 20 23:43:17 EDT 1997

Sean Dillon wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm running Slakware 3.2 on a P120 here at home.  I have a 15" MAG Innovision monitor.  I'm having a hell of a time getting XFree86 to display @ better han 640x480.  I've checked my monitor horiz & vert settings, and my vid card's settings.  My hardware is as follows:
>
> Monitor:                MAG Innovision DX1595
>                 Horizontal Freq:  35.1-63.9
>                 Vertical Freq:  56.2-74.5
>
> Chipset:                Powergraph 64 Video
>                 Horizontal Freq:  31.5-82
>                 Vertical Freq:  60-160
>
> I go through xf86config and create my XF86Config file.  It creates properly, and I get it in the correct dir.  When the SVGA server starts up, it 'deletes' all the => 800x600 display modes from the config file and runs in 640x480.  I can't [CTRL][ALT][-], [CTRL][ALT][+], anything.

Xfree will tell you why it's deleting the entries.  Generally, it's because one of your frequencies is out of range.  Check out the stderr from your X startup and see if this is the case.  It may be no more then a little tweeking to get them into an acceptable range.  If you've not
read the Xfree docs on how to calculate the proper numbers, you should do so, especially before modifying the entries by hand.

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com