[ale] Win95 and linux network

Michael B. Nelson mike at clovis.org
Tue Jun 3 00:39:51 EDT 1997

Howdy all,
According to the Win95 Resource book, Win95 can act as a dial-up PPP server that
will act as a TCP/IP gateway, but it will not do so for SLIP connections. The
catch is, the Dial-up Server stuff is on the Plus Pack, which I don't have, and
also the Resource Book says "Windows 95 must have special Registry settings to
act as an IP router." It has no mention of what those settings may be.

I know nothing about SLIRP, and am too lazy too find out, but I guess it's an
IP emulator over a slip connection; so WIN95 is not going to do this for you.
I wonder if anyone with a kernel series near yours would recompile a kernel
for you if you posted your general config. If you're near 2.0.29 or 2.1.41,
I'll compile one and email it to you (not the ale list) once, maybe twice.

FWIW, I have Linux & WIN95 on the same machine, a 486/33 8Meg. Netscape PPP
through Linux with X up was not as much fun as you'd think;it had a tendency
for TCP/ip to stall and d (ifconfig) until I upped to 2.1.39 with all the
corresponding libs and new NET-tools. I'M surprised how well it runs at 28.8 con
nection and 38400 port speed considering I have a 16450 serial I/O chip.
Now, Win95, it runs at that speed, but as they said at the Iran/Contra
scandal, "mistakes were made".I doubt having Win95 in front would help you.
You might try swapping the disk drives between the machines (and even out
the memory say 12/16 instead of 8/20) to see if there is a performance
problem with the dx25.

E-Mail: Michael B. Nelson <mike at clovis.org>
mnelson at bellsouth.net
Date: 06/03/97