[ale] Warp cursor and resolution questions

Eric H. Eidson hunter at dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu
Tue Feb 25 09:47:01 EST 1997

At 09:05 AM 25-02-97 -0500, Brad Dixon wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>Two quick questions:
>
>In OS/2 I had a utility that made the cursor jump to the active window. It
>kept you from having to always grab a mouse to dismiss popup windows and
>type into dialogs. Is there a similar function in the fvwm/fvwm95 window
>managers?
>
>I have several different display resolutions set up in X. Is there a
>method to tell me what the current actual display resolution is? xdpyinfo
>seems to only tell me what the virtual resolution is. Color depth would be
>great, as well.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Brad

I can't help you with the first question, since I haven't ever looked for
such a utility, but the second question I can help with.

There is an X utility that comes standard with the distribution called
xwininfo, which is usefull for determining the size of a window.  The command:

% xwininfo -root

Should do what you want.  It'll give resolution and colordepth, among other
information.  If that doesn't work (I'm not at my linux box now), run

% xwininfo

And click on the background.

		--Hunter

--
| Hunter Eidson                 |  What happens to the wide eyed observer  |