[ale] McAfee Discovers First Linux Virus [clari.tw.comp

Andy dread at atlcom.net
Thu Feb 13 00:51:08 EST 1997

Daniel Newcombe wrote:

> > }   Very little is known about the history of the Bliss virus.
> > }McAfee discovered the Bliss virus two days ago, and posted a
>
> I've got two takes on this.  One is that becuase a lot of people use
> Linux at home, and are constantly logged in as root, there is a
> chance for a Unix virus to spread, unlike if they logged in as a
> normal user.
>
> My other take, which is what I said when I first heard about this
> last week, is that Bliss was "discovered" to be a way of selling anti-
> virus software on a platform not normally affected by virus's - if
> you catch my drift.   I find it odd that the price is three times
> that of their dos product also.
>
> Of course that could just be me.
>
> Dan Newcombe
> User Services
> newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
> "Huh-huh"

Personally I think Mcafee created the virus.  Antivirus software
uses a signature of known virus to compare with what it finds.
This means that if McAfee for Linux found it then they had to have
known about it before it was discovered. Unless there is some
new virus detection technology implemented in the Linux version
which I seriously doubt.  Doesn't this sound fishy to you?

another explanation would probably be that there is a Dos version
of Bliss in which they already have signature files for and the
code is very similar. But I really doubt that too.

/usr/bin/andy