[ale] XTERM, vt102 emulation, and keymapping.

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Wed Feb 5 16:06:11 EST 1997

Dan Wrote:
> According to the man for xterm, it is supposed to emulate a vt102 terminal.
> Does this just mean that it will only interpret the vt102 sequences?  Cause
> it sure isn't sending vt102 key sequences back.

I have an example xterm translation file I could E-mail out to you that
sets up vt100 translations. Let me know if this would be helpful.

> Also, the man mentions a way of remapping keys by using Xresources.
> However, I don't want to remap these keys for all the xterms I run, just
> the ones I use to connect to our HP.  Is there a way to specify per xterm
> which resources to use?

All Xresources can be set on a per client basis by bringing up a
particular instance of that client with a "-name" option and then
assigning a resource based on that name rather than client class name.
An example of this would be to bring up an xterm window with the following
command:

xterm -name Console

and then set a resource based on that client name with

Console*loginShell: true

Then that resource setting would only take effect for a client with
that name. Unfortunately if you bring up an instance of an xclock and
give it a "-name Console" option this resource will apply to it also.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.