[ale] S3 Virge?

gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 21 07:11:28 EDT 1997

On 21 Aug, Byron A Jeff wrote:

>> > for my card.  Does anyone know if the latest MetroX has a driver for
>> > this or which Xserver would have it?
>>
>> 	Robert,
>>
>> 	Don't know about the Metro X servers, but, XFree 3.3 does a
>> really nice job at supporting my Stealth 3d 3000 (S3 Virge). One
>> note, however, despite the  fact that there is an XF86_S3V server, the S3
>> Virge chipset support is actually compiled into the XF86_SVGA server. :/

Actually, it's compiled into both.  On my board (Stealth 3d 2000 4
megs), the S3V server works better than the SVGA server.  YMMV.

> Another data point: I installed Linux on one of our Lab machines at Clark
> Atlanta. Has a S3 virge too. Apparently the 1152x896 resolution doesn't
> work. It's a bummer because the card I have has 2M of RAM. The 3.3.1 XF86_S3V
> does not recognize that resolution. Just skips it. The 3.3 SVGA will make
> a valiant attempt then fail miserably.

On my system, 1152x864 works fine.  1024x768 only comes up
initially about 1/2 the time.  I can start in 1152x864, work for a
while, and then <alt><->, and 1024x768 will then work.  It's quite
odd....

BTW, has anyone gotten a Diamond 3d 2000 (4 meg) to work at
1024x768x24-bit color?  It's rumored to support it under Win95, but I
can't get it to do it under X (with either XFree86 server).

thanks,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu