[ale] S3 Virge?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 21 07:49:02 EDT 1997

> > for my card.  Does anyone know if the latest MetroX has a driver for
> > this or which Xserver would have it?
>
> 	Robert,
>
> 	Don't know about the Metro X servers, but, XFree 3.3 does a
> really nice job at supporting my Stealth 3d 3000 (S3 Virge). One
> note, however, despite the  fact that there is an XF86_S3V server, the S3
> Virge chipset support is actually compiled into the XF86_SVGA server. :/

Another data point: I installed Linux on one of our Lab machines at Clark
Atlanta. Has a S3 virge too. Apparently the 1152x896 resolution doesn't
work. It's a bummer because the card I have has 2M of RAM. The 3.3.1 XF86_S3V
does not recognize that resolution. Just skips it. The 3.3 SVGA will make
a valiant attempt then fail miserably.

But it does work and it seems quite fast to me. Of course the machine is a
PPro 200MMX. So all things are relative I guess.

BAJ