[ale] Annoying

Robert L. Harris nomad at orci.com
Sun Aug 10 16:40:04 EDT 1997

Mike Kachline wrote:

>         Robert,
>
>         I _highly_ doubt that the Linux kernel has anything to do with
>
> the behavior of X. Could you please post more information about your
> problem. Mainly, an `X -probeonly 2> X.probe` would work very nicely.
> If X
> is to thepoint where it can't do that, then, my first question would
> be
> "How do you know that X isn't using all of the memory on your video
> card?" I've
> run X on a S3Virge 2mb and glc5430 2mb, and both times, the X server
> found all of the video ram. Is your problem that X can't find the ram
> on
> your card, or that you can't get the resolutions/color depth which you
>
> would expect out of your video card?
>
>         If you can't post an X -probeonly, then could you at least
> give
> some specs on what kind of card (ie, who makes it, and even better,
> what
> the actual chipset is on it) you've got? Just as important, which
> version
> of X are you running? 3.2 or 3.3? Finally, have you gotten X to run at
>
> all? Ex, "X runs with 16 colors at 800x600, but, not under 256
> colors",
> or whatever. Finally, what programs are you using to configure your
> XF86Config file, and (least importantly) what distribution of linux
> (RH 4.2,
> Slackware 3.2, debian, etc) are you running?

I can't currently get to the machine.  The reason I'm saying it's not an
Xproblem is that in winblowz I seeing a addressing conflict but can
re-assign
it manually.  My DiamondStealth VideoVram 4Meg card appears to be
using the same addressing as My AHA3940UW adaptec scsi controller.
When I try to use the higher mem locations of the card in X it's locking

my scsi and/or X.  Does anyone know how to force it to resolve the
conflict?  I've tried to move the card's location too...

Robert

Robert L. Harris             |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire.    \_    You don't understand the question.

Email:
  Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

perl -e 'print
$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'