[ale] Upgrage choices

Charles W. Binko cwb at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 11 03:44:01 EDT 1997

Hi everybody,

Even though I'm not in Atlanta anymore (relocated in Tampa), I still find ALE
one of the best Linux resources around.  So I thought I'd bounce my current
choices for upgrading my system off you before I buy (probably Monday).

Right now, I'm clinking along with a DX/50 (yes, that's right) with 20MB ram
and four 540MB hd's.

I've got $500 to upgrade this beast, and here's what (I think) I've decided on.

AMD K6 200 processor (~$200)
Tyan Titan Turbo AT motherboard (TX chipset, AT size, so no new case) ~$135
32MB 10ns SDRAM ~$130
Cheapo PCI 2MB video board (until I get more cash :)

Right now I'm running Slackware 1.2.13, mainly because I haven't had time (nor
reason with this piece of crap) to upgrade, however, that will change almost
immediately after purchase (I'm so glad I partitioned /home and /usr/local :)
:)

Does anyone know of any reason this is not a good choice?  I know the K6 won't
have the floating point punch of an Intel, but the price/performance is hard
to beat!

Thanks!
Binko
C. William Binko			         All Statements are
cwb at mindspring.com				 My own.
cwbinko at trcinc.com        finger cwb at mindspring.com for public PGP key