[ale] Annoying

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Aug 10 16:36:17 EDT 1997

	Robert,

	I _highly_ doubt that the Linux kernel has anything to do with
the behavior of X. Could you please post more information about your
problem. Mainly, an `X -probeonly 2> X.probe` would work very nicely. If X
is to thepoint where it can't do that, then, my first question would be
"How do you know that X isn't using all of the memory on your video card?" I've
run X on a S3Virge 2mb and glc5430 2mb, and both times, the X server
found all of the video ram. Is your problem that X can't find the ram on
your card, or that you can't get the resolutions/color depth which you
would expect out of your video card?

	If you can't post an X -probeonly, then could you at least give
some specs on what kind of card (ie, who makes it, and even better, what
the actual chipset is on it) you've got? Just as important, which version
of X are you running? 3.2 or 3.3? Finally, have you gotten X to run at
all? Ex, "X runs with 16 colors at 800x600, but, not under 256 colors",
or whatever. Finally, what programs are you using to configure your
XF86Config file, and (least importantly) what distribution of linux (RH 4.2,
Slackware 3.2, debian, etc) are you running?

							- Mike

Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline/