[ale] Novell 4.1 and Linux

Stephen R. Wylie swylie at wylie.com
Tue Nov 26 13:24:27 EST 1996

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, David Hamm wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:14:44 -0500
> From: David Hamm <dhamm at itserve.com>
> To: ALE <ale at cc.gatech.edu>
> Subject: [ale] Novell 4.1 and Linux
>
> Chris Fowler spotted the previous problem.  It seems it was related to
> our name servicing.  The quick solution was to put the following line in
> the /etc/hosts.allow.  file.
> ALL:ALL

aw man.... i'm allergic to lines like that in my hosts.allow file...

> I've still got a problem that I've had quite a while and I can't get
> Novell to come up with any solutions.  When I telnet from Linux box on
> one network to another Linux or Sun or IBM box on another network routed
> between by a Novll 4.1 server every thing seems fine until I do an ls on
> a large directory with a lot of entries.  The listing begins and shows
> me some of the files then hangs and the game is over the partial listing
> just sits there and the session is hung.  This problem seems to affect
> all tcpip trafic and I'm to the point of changing the cards in the
> Server.

don't route ip through the netware box. novell really sux doing anything
with IP. you should let netware handle IPX stuff...

> Any suggestions would help.

don't route IP through netware. i've never heard of anyone having any luck
with it.

> Thanks
>
> David

srw
Stephen R. Wylie	swylie at wylie.com
CLICK ME
"They gave me a book of checks.  They didn't ask for any deposits."
     -- Congressman Joe Early (D-Mass)