[ale] Pager Notification for System Events

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali.abraxis.com
Mon Nov 25 22:34:59 EST 1996

}Does anyone know of any software to call a pager for certain system
}events (comm port gets disconnected, user gets e-mail, etc.) preferrably
}economical, or better yet free.

I threw together a script that calls my pager.  I created it initially
because I was having problems receiving pages, so I set it up to page
me every hour on the quarter hour.  I wanted to have 'evidence' to
back up my complaint.  I later added a script that would call me whenever
anyone logged into my box or if my daughter rebooted to run Reading Rabbit.

A while back, I had an extensive script that was called from cron and would
page me for various things, low disc space, process hogs and what not.

In each case the page was a numeric, so the call to the pager would
display a numeric code which I would have to translate.  You're welcome
to the code if you want it, it's not substantial.  You may be looking for
something more substantial.

}________________________________________________________________________
}Jon-Michael J. DeBona
}Technical Support Representative         E-Mail:  jdebona at discom.net
}Discovery Communications, Inc.              WWW:  http://www.discom.net/
}775 Franklin Rd., Suite 100               Voice:  (770) 425-5700 x102
}Marietta, GA 30067                          Fax:  (770) 425-1765
}               Discover a Whole New Internet at Discovery
}             Bringing People Together Through Communications
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....