[ale] sshd and inetd

Chris Farris chris at efga.org
Thu Nov 21 17:19:32 EST 1996

> 	I'd like to integrate sshd with inetd and was wondering
> a couple things.  The man pages for ssh say that it's a drop-in
> replacement for rlogin, etc.  Does this mean I could simply
> change all references to rlogind to sshd in my /etc/inetd.conf
> file?  Or is there more to it than that?
>
> 	The other thing I was wondering was is this even an
> adviseable thing to do?  sshd does some things with key management
> (i.e. regenerating keys every hour, not keeping them on disks) that
> makes it seem like starting sshd via inetd would bring more
> disadvantages than benefits.
I start sshd manually on occasion. It can take up to 30sec on slower
systems. It has a very high startup cost.

I wouldn't reccomend it.

Chris

--
Chris Farris, Arbitrator of the Darwin Award, and Lifeguard of the Gene Pool
Email: chrisf at cc.gatech.edu | Electronic Frontiers GA: http://www.efga.org/