[ale] Win95 file systems

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Thu Nov 21 08:10:46 EST 1996

I upgraded the office machine to Win95.  Prior to that, I've been
using Linux to backup my DOS/Win3.1 files via something like:

mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /C
cd /C
tar cf - . | rsh atlanta dd of=/dev/tape

Which puts the data on a tape drive on the "atlanta" machine in our
network.

Win95 long file name support appears to use entries in the fat that
have a "label" attribute or something like that.  I don't really
care, except knowing that, can I still use my backup script to
dump Win95 files?  Or more to the point, can I restore anything
dumped that way? 8^)

If not, is there a way I can do it?  I'd accept a pointer to a how-to
or other documentation.

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269