[ale] Linux userids

David Hamm dhamm at itserve.com
Wed Nov 20 17:35:42 EST 1996

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> > Quick question:
> >       Is there any way possible to get past the 8 character limitation for
> > user IDs on Linux (Slakware 2.0.1)?
> >       I know it is a weird question, but there is a good reason for it.
>
> I think this was tossed around over the summer on this list.  It's
> probably on the hypermail archive.  The findings I think were that you
> would have to modify login, libc, and basically any other program that
> only allocated 8 spaces for userid's, which could be quite a task.
>
>         -Dan
>
> --
> Dan Newcombe (newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu)
> http://www.csc.peachnet.edu/home/dan/
> -  You kill three people, they call you a murderer.  You kill a million
>    people, they call you a conqueror.  Go figure.
>                                     John Lithgow, _Cliffhanger_
Maybe not.  I think I asked that question and did a little research on
it.  I found that the login program would have to be modified and I so I
changed it and it seemed to work.  I also found that many of the
programs refer to a define in the .h files.  It looked like a good
project but I don't know enough about unix to pull it off.
I wonder if we could get some interest in the ALE group to make this a
project.  It would help linux compete in the commercial server market.

Later

David