[ale] Linux userids

Dan Newcombe newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
Wed Nov 20 17:12:52 EST 1996

> Quick question:
> 	Is there any way possible to get past the 8 character limitation for
> user IDs on Linux (Slakware 2.0.1)?
> 	I know it is a weird question, but there is a good reason for it.

I think this was tossed around over the summer on this list.  It's
probably on the hypermail archive.  The findings I think were that you
would have to modify login, libc, and basically any other program that
only allocated 8 spaces for userid's, which could be quite a task.

	-Dan

--
Dan Newcombe (newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu)
http://www.csc.peachnet.edu/home/dan/