[ale] Linux Questions (fwd)

AJS gt7681a at prism.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 14 14:46:08 EST 1996

Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> }> >       I just installed slackware(3.0) on my machine using the infomagic CD. I
> }> > used the mitsumi driver and went through the motions of setup etc. and
> }> > configured my system completely, installed lilo etc. Now, I boot into
> }> > linux and it cant see my CD ROM. I put a CD in there and say 'ls \CDROM'
> }> > and it gives blank!! How do I get it to see the CDROM.
>
> I had a similar problem with I loaded Linux here.  I had to add the following
> to my lilo config:
>
> append="hdd=cdrom"
>
> Now my box has 4 IDE ports and the above says my cdrom is on the 4th one,
> or the second one of the second pair.  My is a mitsumi also.  Hope that
> helps.  By the way, before I did this, I got the same (misleading) 'not
> a block device error.

 where exactly did you add it. I tried it and it still has the same
problem

It is still looking for it at 0x300,10 and cant find it. Whatever it
finds
it says it cant identify the CDROM format and quits.

	So i tried Dan'smethod, I changed the numbers to what DOS gives me
- 0x0170,15 - I thinkit was, and tried to recompile the kernel It got
through
the make config, make dep, and the make clean parts. When I got to the
make
zImage part,it said, out of virtual memory and stopped. Does this mean I
dont
have enough swap space on. I have about 26MB swap space on it.

	Also, can someone please try and answer the dip question I posted about
earlier, please.

Thanks
ajs