[ale] Re: INFO on the next Atlanta Net Day

Curt Smith curts at compgen.com
Tue Nov 12 13:49:51 EST 1996

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Curt Smith wrote:

Here's a PREREQUISITE for volunteering for Netday:

>>>From globaled at mindspring.com Tue Nov 12 13:43:39 1996
>>>Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:30:42 -0500 (EST)
>>>From: Global Ed <globaled at mindspring.com>
>>>To: curts at compgen.com
>>>Subject: NetDay Volunteer Tasks
>>>
>>>Curt,
>>>
>>>Thank you so much for your interest in NetDay.  I just wanted to clearify
>>>the description of volunteer tasks.  Only CNA/CNE (certified) or RCDD
>>>technical volunteers oversee the cabling and perform the act of "cutting
>>>holes in walls."  The activities are approved by the school system
>>>technology coordinator and any changes are documented.  Please resend your
>>>message to include this update.
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>
>>>Jane Crozier
>>>Georgia NetDay
>>>
>>>Jane Crozier
>>>Global Education Partners
>>>3232 Cobb Parkway, Suite 219
>>>Atlanta, Georgia  30339
>>>770-951-0048 Phone
>>>770-952-5524 Fax

I'm not sure whether non-certified folks (like me) can help string cable,
fetch coffee for the CNE's etc ??

I still have to ?believe? that there's still need for willing hands, just
that some tasks are reserved for the card carrying folks.

Still a very good opportunity to help out our children...

Curt.

> INFO on the next Atlanta Netday,
> -------------------------------
>
> Back ground info:
>
> 	Public schools are being connected to the internet in many
> 	cities around the country.
>
> 	The $$, materials and internet connection are being provided by
> 	network equipment vendors like 3com, and ATT for the ISP etc.
>
> 	The installation labor for LAN and wall connectors is being
> 	provided by volunteer help.
>
> Need:
>
> 	Volunteers to help string ethernet, cut holes in walls etc etc
> 	at local Atlanta schools.
>
> How I found out about this:
>
> 	I read a note in the Atlanta Computer Currents newspaper and
> 	called the phone number; 770-951-0048.  This reaches Jane Krosher
> 	(who's CC'ed on this email) who is a coordinator of some aspects
> 	of Netday.
>
> What's happening next:
>
> 	The Atlanta Netday is tentatively being planned for Feb. '97.  No
> 	day picked yet.
>
> 	There's a high level coordination meeting planned for Dec 6 '96
> 	at Ga Tech GCATT Building, 9:30-11:00 AM.
>
> 	Jane, says this is a limited attentance planning meeting.
>
> 	Perhaps one representative from ALE and AUUG could attend to help
> 	feed information down to their members and help get lists of names
> 	of volunteers together.
>
> What is needed from AUUG and ALE by Dec 6 '96.
>
> 	A volunteer from each org. to attend the GA Tech meeting.
> 	I'm volunteering if there is no one from each group who
> 	already works in the GA Tech area.  I work in the Perimeter
> 	Mall area, so it would be 1/2 day or so off work to attend, but
> 	I'm willing.
>
> 	Is there anyone from ALE and AUUG who can make this meeting?
>

> Yours, curt.
>

> Curt Smith
> curts at compgen.com
> (w) 404-705-2854