[ale] re: ISDN stuff

MYERS ufpsprod!gmyers at atlml1.attmail.com
Fri Mar 15 11:37:36 EST 1996

} > }
} > }Unix Guru Dude <geof at denali.is.net> writes:
} > }\ }
} > }\ }  4. Does MindSpring's ISDN use data compression, or am I limited to just
} > }\ }     64 kbps?  (I could probably check their web page...)
} > }\
} > }\ What the hell you want compression for at 64K!?!?!?!  Man some people want
} > }\ everything!!! :)
} > }
} > }Everyone's talking about 64K.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't
} > }you go up to 128K data if you're not using the other channel for voice
} > }at the same time?
} >
}
} If I recall from when Mindspring was at ALE last year,
} their statement was "All of our ports are set to 115K,
} ISDN or analog"  so whatever advantage you get out of
} compression is fine up to 115K.
}
} As for 128K, the way ISDN works it takes 'two telephone
} calls' to get a 128K connection, then the two B channels
} are 'bonded'.  Well my understanding of the problems with
} this are #1) most of the existing bonding protocols are
} currently not compatiable and #2) both calls going thru
} the hunt group have to wind up on the same physical ISDN
} terminal server so they can be bonded.
}
} Multilink PPP does work, but AFAIK dosn't address #2.
} The solution for a ISP is to give you a private number
} to dialin to so you are always going to get the same
} two ports on the ISDN termserver.

This must be where I got the info about 'dedicating' a TA to your line.

}
} Marc Torres

       Until later,       attmail!gamyers      ph  404.810.3250
       Geoffrey Myers                          fax 404.810.2487

       floc 6E26, 1200 Peachtree, Promenade II, Atlanta, GA 30309

      gamyers at attmail.com   geof at denali.is.net   eiger at ichange.com